2828 Jones St. Fisherman’s Wharf San Francisco, CATheir bikes look a lot newer than Blazing Saddles. Prices seemed competitive and shirt prices were competitive as well. Check their website for discounts for online reservations. 3)Blazing Saddles This company offers a convenient location at Pier 41 and staffed with a lot of workers to handle the traffic. This is the only one I have used and I can tell you their bikes come with pouches, helmet, lock and key and straps to hold down bags and jacket. Offers an option to buy a ticket to ride a ferry back from Sausalito and late night return options. Tips for biking the bridge:
- Start early: Give yourself enough time to get to the bridge and catch the good weather. I’ve noticed the sun tends to shine mid-morning and some of the afternoon. The route is filled with hills and great photo opportunities, so you want to give yourself enough time. Some places estimate 2 hours for the total trip but my first time it took me 4 hrs or more to go from the city to Sausalito. I wished I had started earlier so that I could explore Sausalito.
- Charge your cameras: This is a long journey. My first ride, my batteries died and I was stuck with no phone or camera the second half of the trip. Second time around I used an Anker Extended battery and had no issues.
- Dress in Layers: The route to the bridge can have completely different weather than on the bridge. It is very windy and cold on the bridge.
- Stretch: Be sure to stretch before and after the bike ride. You may want to save this excursion for your last full day. I’m very active and was forced to use icy hot and was in a lot of pain after my ride.
- Understand the route: This is not a pick up the bike right at the bridge and ride. It is a total of about 8 miles to Sausalito. I was told after the bridge it is downhill to Sausalito. It does start of downhill but there are hills as well. Also as a solo rider the road to Sausalito was very deserted, kind of creepy sometimes. I thought if a dog was loose I would be done, at that point I was running on E. Check the ferry schedule before parking your bike in Sausalito. This will let you know how much time you have to spend in Sausalito. If you miss the ferry you will have to take an expensive taxi back to San Francisco.
- Be prepared: Be sure to wear the right active clothing and proper tennis shoes. Also be sure your bike seat is set to give you a slight bend. Normally having the seat the same level as your waist helps. Also be sure not to lock your elbows while riding. Purchase water at the blazing saddles shop or bring it with you.
- Go to Sausalito if you have time. Stop for food at Scoma’s they will take care of you!